Subject: Re: [cgmo-webcgm] getStyleProperty test

At 10:48 AM 7/7/2008 -0500, Forrest Carpenter wrote:

All,

We are working on the getStyleProperty tests and have come across something that I am not sure how to handle. For example if you set the stroke color to #FF0000 of a parent and get the style property of one of it s children that the stroke color has not been set, what value do you return? #FF0000 or an empty string.

Good question.  Here is what the spec says:

"WebCGMString; the Style Property value as a string, or the empty string if that attribute does not have an explicitly set value (see the inheritance model for further related discusion). The value may be a Delimited String."

Based on that, I believe the intention is "empty string" -- you have never explicitly set the style property (tho' it does have an inherited value).

IIRC, we had a discussion about this once.  The idea for a flag was proposed, that would indicate either "explicitly set" or "effective" value is to be returned.  The first would be whatever you applied to that node with setStyleProperty() (else empty string).  The second would be the outcome of applying the inheritance model of 5.4 (hence a value is always available, i.e., never returns empty string).

I can't remember our discussion or decision, but apparently the first was chosen.

Anyone remember more about this?