Subject: RE: [cgmo-webcgm] <object> interoperability issue

from this implementation, you will not be able to use both the PARAM tag
and the data attribute simultaneously."

Benoit

-----Original Message-----
From: Lofton Henderson [mailto:lofton@rockynet.com]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 6:52 PM
To: Bezaire, Benoit; cgmo-webcgm@lists.oasis-open.org

At 03:13 PM 6/11/2010 -0400, Bezaire, Benoit wrote:
>Here is my sample attached.

Thanks.

>You will notice that 'data' is used, but there are no <PARAM>s. Yet the
>problem exist since a typical windows application will query for the
>PARAMs using DoPropExchange regardless if they are specified or not.

It sounds like your understanding of the problem has evolved somewhat.
So
is it the "query for the PARAMs", even if it is none is present, that
causes the problem?  Earlier you wrote about the need for both 'data'
and
PARAM to be present:

>...Our implementation (COleControl ActiveX) is passed in corrupted data

>when both the 'data' attribute is specified on the <object> tag and
when
><PARAM> elements are also specified.
>
>According to Microsoft, HTML 4 doesn't state that an implementation (of

>HTML) has to pass all values ('data' attribute, <PARAM>s)
simultaneously
>to the ActiveX. Either 'data' without <PARAM> is used; or <PARAM>s
without
>the 'data' attribute is used.

FWIW, I modified your sample.html slightly, so that the <object> sits
directly in the table in place of the div/divTag stuff.  Your old beta 6

showed the cube fine, whereas old beta 6 crashed on your original
sample.html code (w/ div/divTag scheme).  It escapes me, why that bit of

extra script execution matters before the <object> element gets
processed.

Ugh...

It is hard to believe that this has not become a critical problem for
MS.  One would think it quite common to use <object>'s 'data' attribute
with child <param> elements.

-Lofton.