Subject: Formation of the workprocess list

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@boethius.eng.sun.com>
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

OASIS Chairs,

FYI.

If you have any interest at all in this effort, you should subscribe
now to the workprocess list.

Jon

 Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:45:01 -0800 (PST)
 From: Jon Bosak <bosak@boethius.eng.sun.com>
 To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org
 Subject: Welcome to the Working Group Process Committee

 Welcome the the OASIS Working Group Process Committee.

 Our task is to develop the process to be followed by future OASIS
 technical committees.  We will begin with an outline that was given an
 initial sanity check by the OASIS Board of Directors during its
 meeting in London October 5 and has been subsequently revised to
 incorporate changes suggested at that meeting.  See the end of this
 message for pointers to this outline and to other core documents
 relevant to our work.

 After some study of the problem, it seems to me that our activity
 should logically proceed as follows:

 1. Consideration of the desired end state described in the
    process outline.  This has been given an initial review by the
    OASIS board, but several important details are still subject
    to debate.

 2. Consideration of the "default OASIS committee process,"
    i.e., the process we currently have.  This means a careful
    reading of the OASIS Bylaws, of which I have prepared a
    lengthy exegesis.

 3. Analysis of what changes or additions need to be made to
    the default process in order to provide the most immediately
    needed part of the structure described in the process outline,
    which is the part relating to technical committees.  I have
    prepared an initial list of items that needs further
    consideration by this committee.

 Given our expectation that OASIS is soon to become the home for
 hundreds or perhaps even thousands of industrial XML initiatives, it's
 essential that we move with all deliberate speed in putting together a
 process that is open, robust, and scalable.  For this reason, we will
 have to work in parallel on the steps listed serially above.

 To keep us moving, I am going to rely on the default committee process
 we've inherited to decide questions that seem to have received enough
 attention, and in doing so I'm generally going to require turnaround
 time on email votes of 48 hours (not counting weekends).  This will be
 tough but workable as long as we all commit to replying, no matter how
 briefly, to every formal request for input.  As some of you know, this
 is not the usual practice among participants in our technical
 committees (among the less responsive of which I include myself), but
 we are going to have to proceed quite a bit differently to accomplish
 the work we need to do in the time available.

 I am committed to doing what I can between now and (say) the end of
 the year to put the new process in place, so if you are happy with the
 way things are going, you should usually need do no more than read the
 documents I put in front of you, register a brief response to indicate
 general agreement, and vote when called upon to do so.  Active,
 constructive engagement in the design of the process will be much
 appreciated but is not expected.  Failure to evidence limited but
 regular signs of life, however, will result in your removal from the
 committee, for reasons having to do with the need to maintain a quorum
 that will become clearer when you read my description of the default
 process.

 Your assignment this week is to read and consider the documents listed
 at the end of this message.  Since several of you are traveling this
 week, I suggest the following schedule:

    1999.11.01-07: Read and consider the documents below
    1999.11.08:    Post comments for consideration by the committee

 The absence of a comment regarding any of the documents listed below
 by 8 November will be considered a hearty (if informal) endorsement of
 the contents of each document not commented upon.  If you are not
 willing to have your silence registered as informal assent to a
 document, you should either say something about it or ask to be
 removed from the committee.  I don't really want to do this all by
 myself, but I will if I have to.

 Jon

 (The locations below are intended to be temporary until we have spaces
 set up on xml.org in which each committee can post its working
 documents.)

 CORE DOCUMENTS FOR BEGINNING THE WORK PROCESS DESIGN

 The current OASIS Bylaws
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/src/oasisbyl.doc
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/src/oasisbyl.pdf
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/src/oasisbyl.ps

 The overall process outline approved by the board
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/doc/xproc.100

    Which includes copies of the following:

       Placeholder for IPR policy
	  http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/doc/ipr.100

       Placeholder for antitrust policy
	  http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/doc/atrust.100

 The current default OASIS committee process
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/doc/defaultp.100

 Changes to the default process needed to create technical committees
    http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/wkproc/doc/changes.100