Subject: RE: OASIS TC specs style guide?

Lofton:

Good comments.

> I see that you have copied Eve Maler, and so you will get (in
> detail) what
> I will mention.  In the SVG WG, we have just started to pick up and use
> some DTDs and stylesheets that are gaining ground in W3C for
> authoring the
> specs.  I'm pretty sure I saw Eve's name in the revision history of the
> DTDs.  I'm not sure what authoring tools are good to use, as I haven't
> started using the XML authoring yet.

That's been my concern with requiring people to use XML; authoring tools are
not yet ubiquitous -- certainly not to the same extent as MSWord. But OASIS
is in the business of promoting XML; shouldn't we use our own tools?

> Also you might query the W3C publishing people -- they were at the QA
> workshop.  Susan Lesch, I think was the person (see the attendance roster
> for contact info).  As you recall from WSQA, as soon as you start
> discussing document standards, it quickly becomes a bigger topic than
> "what's a handy format?"

Yes, I chatted briefly with Susan at that meeting, and our conversation is
actually what got me starting to think about this topic. I'm aware that
there are other specs/guidelines out there; I just want to hear from you
chairs what you think about them.

> I would suggest that this topic might deserve a little more
> formal standing
> than just pulling together a handful of suggestions into a guidelines
> document.  A discussion list might be good, at
> least.

Yes, that may be a good idea. I don't think this needs to be a full-fledged
OASIS TC, but it may noot hurt to get more folks in on the discussion, so a
discussion list may be an answer. I'm afraid, though, that many people will
see this sort of discussion as "overhead" and taking them away from
technical work. So I thought that I would start small and see where it goes
from there.

> (I have copied Lynne and Ken on my reply, as they each might have some
> comments on my latter assertions.  Maybe Lynne, as chair of the
> Conformance
> TC, might have some TC history or agenda interest about this.)

Lynne and Ken got this, as they are TC chairs. Can we use this list to
continue the discussion?

</karl>
Karl F. Best
OASIS - Director, Technical Operations