Subject: Re: [chairs] relations with W3C

Hal,

It is not quite true that "All the OASIS Security-related
TCs have a relationship with the security-related activities
at W3C." This is not true for XCBF, which has its closest
ties perhaps to ANSI X9 security activities and the emerging
XML work being done there.

In particular XCBF has ties to the X9F4 Security Applications
group for X9.84 and to the X9F3 Cryptographic Protocols group
working on X9.96 XML CMS, an alternative to the W3C XMLDSIG
effort. There's also reliance on the work of ITU-T SG17 for
their ASN.1 schema for XML markup, which XCBF will use to try
to harmonize the two binary message formats for biometrics
specified in the NIST CBEFF work.

So, I think it would be helpful to start out with the view
that while we share some common interests (promoting OASIS as
an important standards organization, trying to broaden its
appeal, its scope and the use of its standards), but that these
interests are not across the board.

Some of what each of us do, both within and outside of OASIS
may not be of much interest to all of the others. In my work
with various security-related standards bodies, I tend to wear
many hats.

Phil
----
Phillip H. Griffin      Griffin Consulting
http://ASN-1.com        Secure ASN.1 Design & Implementation
+1 919 291 0019         1625 Glenwood Avenue
+1 919 832 7390 (fax)   Hayes Barton at Five Points
phil.griffin@ASN-1.com  Raleigh, North Carolina 27608-2319 USA