>> > 1. It's misleading and confusing to call it a comment list
>> > when it's really a discussion list.
>
> Well, no it's not. It really is a comment list. This is supposed to be a
> one-way pipe to get public comments into the TC. Admittedly some TCs
> have stretched this a bit to make them discussion lists, which I haven't
> fought too much against, but the original (and true) purpose is
> comments.

I completely agree that the purpose should be exactly as you say "a one-way
pipe to get public comments into the TC".  However, allowing non-TC members
to subscribe is not consistent with this purpose, nor are the current TC
guidelines, which say
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/guidelines.shtml#maillist):

"Public comment list: This list is for general public discussion of the TC
work."

James