Subject: RE: [chairs] patent ruling and it's impact on standards organizat ions

Jacques,

Agreed.

I'm just pointing out that while your ideas
hopefully does manage to "cure" outbreaks -
but as the W3C is finding,
the long term solution is not so immediately
attained.  Of course there are two camps -

a) all IPR has to be donated free
b) IPR can have licensing provided this is so stated
     up front.

I just don't want to see us churning goups of email
on all this - I received over 50+ messages on my
W3C thread this week alone!

Maybe we could delegate a sub-team to produce
a report offline?

Cheers, DW.
Message text written by Jacques Durand

Everyone knows about the abusive handling of software patents by the PTO,
but I do not see how this can be fixed any time soon...

Meanwhile I do believe that strengthening the disclosure policy of any
group
working
together on a standard is absolutely key, as confirmed once again in the
JEDEC / Rambus case, and that is a more attainable objective.

It is likely that if the standard organizations do not provide strong
legally-binding disclosure policies (at least as an option), the companies
involved in the standard work will have to complement the IPR policy of the
org
by additional, separate legal collaboration agreements.
<