Subject: Re: [chairs] patent ruling and it's impact on standards organizations

Some info from the IETF that may prove useful. First a fwd'd msg, below that
pointers to the work of the IETF IPR working group (appears to've been
chartered circa Jul-2002). The latter has produced three I-Ds that are probably
worthwhile for interested parties to read, especially since the present OASIS
IPR policy is based rather directly on the IETF's as described in Section 10 of
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt, and what the IPR wg is doing is revising
and clarifying said rfc2026 section 10.

JeffH

------------- forwarded message --------------------------
Subject: "Written patent policy with clear guidance"
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 14:09:09 -0800
To: IETF@ietf.org

Folks,

Norm Beamer is a partner at Fish & Neave, which specializes in
intellectual property law.  They did the patent for the Wright Brothers.

I am forwarding his note at his request. This is not intended to state a
concern that the IETF's current efforts regarding intellectual property
are inadequate -- my non-expert guess is that we currently have pretty
good policies and communicate them well.

However it seems worthwhile to take note of a case and a warning that an
expert thinks is relevant to us.

d/
-----
 Dave <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>