Subject: [chairs] Re: Quorum required for good standing

[I cut down the CC list assuming everyone is on the chairs mailing
list - L]

On 18 Feb 2003 at 22:44, Eduardo Gutentag wrote:

> That may be true in theory, but in the practice, when in a 20 person TC
> an email vote elicits 2 yes votes and 1 no vote and the rest either
> send "I abstain" messages or none at all, people are quite reluctant
> to consider the matter settled in favor of the motion. Most would say,
> and have said, that the vote doesn't and shouldn't count.

If everyone else abstains or can't be bothered voting, doesn't that
mean they don't care about the result of that vote? So why shouldn't
it count? I could see saying that a certain percentage of the TC must
vote in one of the three ways, which would imply if you don't care
what the result is you must explicitly say you don't care by
abstaining. How is this different to the common "if no objections,
it's carried"?

Lauren

--

Lauren Wood, Chair, Entity Resolution TC