Subject: RE: [chairs] Re: Quorum required for good standing

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 07:13, Luc Clement wrote:
> Karl and chairs,
>
> Unless I've missed something, we don't seem to have come to a consensus.

Since this is not a decision-making body, whether we have consensus or
not is, I think, irrelevant. What is important is that we have a
common understanding, and that, I'm afraid, we do not have, as witness
some of the messages sent lately.

As chair of the TAB and of the TAB's SC that deals with Process, I will
ultimately have to deal with this, whether it comes to the TAB through a
request from the Board or through a self-initiated TAB action.

What I would like to know is what people consider the best course of
action in order to reach a common understanding that during
email votes the concept of quorum is of no significance because
everybody is considered present, and therefore whichever gets majority
wins (with only YAY or NAY being significant, and that abstentions are
not negative votes).

I'd very much appreciate if you, the chairs of OASIS TCs, could send me
a response to the following possible alternatives:

a) leave things as are
b) remove the sentence "For the purposes of mail vote counting, quorum
   is constituted by the whole TC membership." (but remember that this
   returns us to a situation fraught with misunderstandings resolvable
   *only* through a comprehensive reading of Roberts)
c) amend the above sentence to read "For the purposes of email voting,
   quorum is constituted by the whole TC membership and is always true."
d) replace the sentence in (b) above to xxx (please provide succint and
   clear alternative)
e) other

Please note that the above is not a vote ;-) Feel free to send me
your responses directly if you so prefer.

--
Eduardo Gutentag               |         e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Web Technologies and Standards |         Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 x31442