Subject: Re: [chairs] public comment web form

I see. I would be concerned that this may be a case of "throwing out the baby with the bath water". I say that not because the WSRP comment list has been heavily used (I'm sure I received more private emails asking questions as the spec editor than the comment list did), but rather because I see utility to having two distinct discussion forums:

1. Expert oriented - only TC members may post to this list and its primary purpose is to hold discussions on the technical issues before the TC.

2. Public oriented - Any subscriber may post to this list and its primary purpose is for comments and questions from the public on the work of the TC. Responses that provide answers/ask for clarification are acceptable, but technical discussions on the merits of different items is not.

Clearly the main TC and SC email lists provide the function of #1 and it sounds like many of us thought the comment list provided the function of #2. Provided there is general agreement that this is important functionality, I would rather see a mechanism put into place that would allow OASIS TC Admin to moderate a comment list that is being abused rather than throwing out the forum from the overall process.

Rich Thompson
OASIS WSRP TC Chair

"Karl F. Best" <karl.best@oasis-open.org>

09/05/2003 08:37 AM