Subject: Re: [chairs] A question for the Chairs

Interesting thread - particularly on the issue of maintenance beyond the life of
the TC.

The ISO committee that I chair (ISO TC184 SC4) maintains a SEDS (Standard
Enhancement and Discrepancy System) database, where anyone using our standards can
post queries and observed errors.  Ths collection mechanism is maintained by the
secretariat after a development team has finished ts work, so that a judgement can
be made on when it is appropriate to consider revisions or updates.  It also allows
a new team proposing a revision to an existing standard to have immediate access to
user experience, so that the revision project can address outstanding issues.

We also use the system to record any unresolved issues from approval ballots, so
that these can be addressed in future updates.

I think the capability would be very useful for the PLCS TC, which will be
generating multiple deliverables.

Howard Mason

jkenton@datapower.com on 16/10/2003 16:29:52