Subject: RE: [chairs] need your comments on DocMgmt system requirements

IMO, CVS is no more inefficient than Kavi for storing versions of things
like Word files.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://webpages.charter.net/chrisfer/blog.html
phone: +1 508 377 9295

"Rogers, Tony" <Tony.Rogers@ca.com> wrote on 02/18/2004 04:09:29 PM:

> Make a couple of changes in a Word document and store it in CVS (yeah,
binary is probably how
> you'd do it) - it stores the entire file again, rather than the changes
- that's what I'm calling
> inefficient, meaning "using more storage than is necessary to store the
changes". I didn't say
> "bad". I didn't say "unusable". I said "inefficient", and I cordially
disagree with your statement
> that "It is not.".
>
> I have used CVS for over 10 years, and it's a useful place to store
source code. It's a lot less
> useful when storing non-text files, however.
>
> One of the features of CVS and ancilliary programs that I use frequently
is a display of the
> differences between two versions of a file. I don't get that facility
when CVS is storing Word
> documents - all I can do is retrieve the two Word documents and look at
them (anyone got a good
> Diff for Word?). That's a big loss, especially in this environment,
where we have multiple
> authors. To make matters worse, it encourages use of the "track changes"
feature of Word, and that
> produces much larger Word documents...
>
> So what I am asking is: is there a system which will give us this
valuable feature for Word
> documents? (Ideally, also for PDF files) Something that will allow us to
see things like "this
> paragraph was added by Mr Slowsteady on 13 July, and modified by Ms
Quicksmart on 14 August". If
> the answer to that is an expensive document management system, then
let's consider it. If it can
> work on top of CVS so we can use native CVS facilities for text and html
files, then that's a bonus.

> Tony Rogers

The -z flag tells the
> client the level of compression to use. I've been using CVS almost daily
for 5 years, and there
> are several binary files in there (jars, zips, docs, pdfs, ps, exe, gz,
...).

> Is CVS inefficient in storing and versioning MS Word, or other binary
documents? No. It is not.
> Does CVS integrate with MS Word to make the cvs diff command and
conflict resolution work? No. If