Subject: RE: [chairs] Cost of conference bridge?

David et al:

There is one thing to keep in mind.  The W3C really does not pay for it – the members do.  If OASIS provides this, the member companies AND individual members should reasonably expect their dues to go up given the money must come from somewhere.    What we are really talking about is a pooling of the costs associated with holding meetings.

Yes – it is great for those who deem the occasional long distance charge as a barrier to their participation in TC’s.  IMO VOIP is still a bit unreliable.

Why should OASIS run the VOIP server?  There are plenty of companies out there like Skype, Gizmo etc that do this for free already.

Personally, I would rather use their services that request that Scott and Jamie duplicate this.  I think their time is best spent else where.

Duane

Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com
Vice Chair - UN/CEFACT
http://www.uncefact.org/
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee
Personal Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/