Subject: RE: [chairs] Changes to OASIS TC Comment Facilitiy

Intelligent SPAM filters can make use of the smtp envelope headers (like
"Received:" which are set by the MTA, not the "From:" header set by the MUA.
Mail gateways can use that device to transmit who is actually sending a
message -- often by including an IP of the sending MTA.

-matt
-----Original Message-----
From: Scott McGrath [mailto:scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:48 PM
To: jon.bosak@sun.com; Chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Jon,

While the tech services folks can provide technical answers about what part
of the mail header is examined by the mail server accepting list mail, I'd
point out that the *VAST* majority of the spam on the comment lists is via
the comment form.  UBL-Comment is certainly testimony to that.  Cutting off
the comment form will prevent most of the spam.

The two options you describe have always existed, but have been thwarted to
a great degree.  This project will not close those loop-holes, nor will it
open them further.

Scott...

smime.p7s