ciq message

Subject: OASIS Customer Address Format XML TC

For some reason OASIS choose to call this the "QIC WG".

What the heck is that?  A good question!  I think a large
number of people have experience with dealing with
addressing information in systems across a broad
sector of business applications.

CUSTOMER ADDRESS WG - that is much simpler to grasp.

Yeah - some companies have made a living out of niche
"duplicate checking and address cleansing" algorithms.
But - a large part of this is NOT rocket science - matching
on phone, ZIP, customer #, and so forth.

Also the Address formats that Ram has developed include
a tremendous amount of excellent and considered thought.

Once people realize what a gold mine this stuff is...

Also - it looks intimidating - but is not - since Ram has
carefully allowed for optional everything - so a plain
dumb US postal address is easily done - while if you
are sending a birthday card to Papua New Guinea, all
the extras you need there are covered too.

We need a chunk of good old fashioned "users" to
come in and start implementing Ram's drafts in fielded
business app's that are:

a) probably globally focused in addresses

b) have an ugly solution right now - and want something
     better.

I'm sending this to the XML/edi Group - since I suspect
many members will indeed be very interested in going
over to http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ciq/

and participating with us, whether or not they are OASIS
members - jsut precludes them from voting - but not
helping and commenting.

Thanks, DW.

Message text written by Ram Kumar

As I have told you before, the problem with our area (CIQ) is that it is
very
unique and it is not easy to find expertise in it. Unless some well known
companies in the area of customer information such as AXCIOM, VALITY,
TRILLIUM, HARTE HANKS, ID-CENTRIC, FIRST LOGIC etc. and CRM
companies join OASIS, it is always going to be hard to find members to this
TC.

If you have any suggestions on how we can find more people,
that will be great. I am doing my best by publishing articles in
journals regarding CIQ and am asking for more participants. I am
also doing this by presenting in conferences as well. The other thing I
have been doing is trying to set up some collaborative projects
with other groups. I do not know what else I can do unless OASIS
comes up with some other alternatives.

I also need help from the CIQ TC members to find more TC members.
There has been some promises, but nothing has been concrete so far.
My organisation is 100% behind this effort and infact, will become a
corporate sponsor of OASIS this term. Though this might not appear to
be a big deal, but it is a big deal for a small Australian company like
ours. This only shows our committment to OASIS. They have now
allocated 30% of my time to this standards work.

<