ciq message

Subject: [ciq] Fw: Re: Geographic addressing

CIQ TC

FYI

Ram
------------- Forwarded message -------------
Hi Ram

Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I needed. (And I DO mean exactly.)

I am evaluating different candidate XML schemas, with the intention of
recommending
one to be adopted as our enterprise wide standard. We currently have
something like
400(!) different systems which store customer information in different ways.
Need I
say more?

I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear I've already provisionally
recommended the
xNAL as well as the CRM standards. These schemas go way beyond our original
requirements, but to be honest, that's because our original requirements were
incomplete.
Now that we have cleared up the BS7666 Issue, I can see no obstacles to its
adoption. (Other than political, as ever.)

Regards

Roland Kamsika
Solutions Architect

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Ram Kumar"  |
|        |          <rkumar@msi.c|
|        |          om.au>       |
|        |                       |
|        |          05/03/2002   |
|        |          23:01        |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
----|

  |       To:     Roland
Kamsika/e/POSTOFFICE@POSTOFFICE                          |

cc:                                                                     |
  |       Subject:     Re: Geographic
addressing                                  |
----|

Hi Roland

> Hi Ram
>
> We are highly impressed with the xNAL standard and I am very close to
getting it
> adopted by my organisation.
> Could you please tel me if any provision is made for geographical
addressing, as
> defined by BS7666?
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Roland Kamsika
> Solutions Architect

The following conversation mail with the OASIS CIQ mailing list last
Noivember might be of interest to you. Robert James is an expert in UK postal
addressing and he is a member of the technical committee of oasis ciq.
Robert has infact looked at BS7666 and compared it with xNAL and his
conclusion is hat xNAL is a superset of BS7666. Please let me know whether
I missed anything.

May I know for what purpose you intend to use xNAL?

Regards

Ram
Chair, OASIS CIQ TC

Subject: [ciq] Re: UK Names standard (1/1)

From: Ram Kumar <rkumar@msi.com.au>
To: robertj@cix.co.uk
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:30:58 +1100 (EST)

Robert

> Ram
>
> On 8 November I attended the second meeting of the Local Authority group
> who have tasked themselves with creating a UK standard for names.
>
>I did manage to get a copy of the xNL Specifications
> and Description Document, circulated to all the members of the group, some
> 500 around the country.

Our standard can be used in either a simpler fashion or a complex detailed
fashion (eg. address lines vs detailed elementisation). This is the
flexibility we provide.

> The draft "standard" that has emerged from the LAG is seriously weak and
>has an obsession with sizing fields, and creating keys.

> A good basis of handling names is essential for the UK National Electoral
> register project which is in the final stages of tendering.

Election and Voter Services TC group of OASIS is concentrating on developing
a global standard. Their group is chaired by Anwar Choudary, Director of the
e-cabinet of UK Govt. His group is flying down from UK to meet with the CIQ
commitee at the XML 2001 Conference. The purpose of this meeting is to
discuss with us the possibility of using our name and address standards as
part of their electoral registration process. The reason why they are keen to
talk to us is because our standard is "Global", ie application independent
and open.  I am not sure whether the UK National Electoral register project
as any relationship with the e-cabine group of UK govt.

> I noted in John Borras's email of 22 October that he refers to standards
> for names and addresses, as far as I am aware there is as yet no standard
> for names, and the address standard is BS7666 which is proving impossible
> to implement as a gazetteer.

> John may not be aware of the difficulties with BS7666 because the whole of
> this area has become highly politicised, with the standards "owners" IdEA
> the national advisory group for Local Authorities continuing to argue
> despite all evidence that BS7666 in it's present form is viable.
>
> I have compared the BS7666 with xAL(xNAL), essentially all addresses
> presented in BS7666 format can be handled in xAL but not the reverse.

>There is a
> tendency for BS7666 to describe the world as the authors would like it to
> be rather than as it really is.

You are absolutely correct Robert.

> A good example of this divergence is that BS7666 does not allow for
> dependent Thoroughfares. This means there is no coherent way of handling
> entities such as railway arches, named parades of shops, and named groups
> of houses.

As you note the beauty of our standards is that they provide all elements to
describe an address and at the same time provides the option to applications
to pick and choose what they want to use.

Thanks for your feedback and efforts. Appreciated. I have copied this
e-mail to the CIQ mailing list.

Regards

Ram

> Regards
>
> Robert James
>
> Partner White Wulf Consultants
> robertj@cix.co.uk
> 01777 228269

This  email  and  any  attachments  are confidential and intended for the
addressee
only.   If  you are not the named recipient, you must not use, disclose,
reproduce,
copy  or  distribute the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this
in error, please contact the sender and then delete this email from your
system.

MSI Business Solutions:
Level 12, 67 Albert Ave
Chatswood NSW 2067

We are a One to One Business solutions and Consulting Company
that assists our clients to become Customer-Centric with
appropriately tailored strategies,services and enabling technologies.

Office Phone:	+61 2 94128333
Facsimile:	+61 2 94134275

Web Site:	http://www.msi.com.au/