ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Fw: Re: LegalXML Participation and Re-use

Hi Rob,

Thank you. Customer/Party Information is so critical to
all the e-business activities. This is the precise reason
why CIQ standards are so important. But unfortunately, organisations/
other standard efforts ignore this fact and build their own
party definitions as part of the standards effort. The excuse they
give is that CIQ standards are too comprehensive and they do not
want such comprehensive standard. But what they fail to realise is
that party information in an organisation can be used for many different
purposes such as customer data integration, name and address parsing,
mathcing, validation, user registration, postal, etc etc. Let us say,
an organisation use different standards for different purposes such as
a standard for purchase order, business process, postal services, etc. Party
information gets duplicated all over the place due to different
representation
(conformance to different standards used) of the same information and as
a result, interoperability is impossible. This is what CAM TC is trying to
solve. But would it not be so easy if different standard development groups
use CIQ as a base that is application independent and global and then
extend it for specific needs rather than re-inventing the wheel?

Well, as we all know, politics is number one than anything else when it
comes to reality. But we have to keep trying to get this message across
no matter whether we succeed or not. Efforts from your organisation in
implementing CIQ standards as part of your product are critical to the
widespread adoption of CIQ and the CIQ TC has to thank you and your
organisation for this.

Kind regards,

Ram