ciq message

Subject: RE: CIQ V3.0 schemas

Title: Re: CIQ V3.0 schemas
Hi Tim,

From: Tim McGrath [mailto:tmcgrath@portcomm.com.au]
Sent: Thu 6/01/2005 6:27 PM
To: Ram Kumar
Cc: jon.bosak@sun.com

as we discussed, i have tried to map the xAL-3.0.5 schemas to the UBL
1.0 Address BIE.  the results are included in the attached spreadsheet.

WHAT DOES THE COLOR CODES (YELLOW AND PINK) IN THE SPREADSHEET REPRESENT?

 From this it appears that we still have some issues with naming and
design rules. For example CIQ uses attributes for business information
entities or core components - UBL only uses elements.

I AM NOT CLEAR HERE. CAN YOU EXPLAIN THIS WITH AN EXAMPLE?

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, IN XAL AND XNL, EVERY ELEMENT USES ATTRIBUTES TO DEFINE A

CODE AND CODE TYPE THAT IS USED BY POSTAL AUTHORITIES TO REPRESENT AN ELEMENT.

WE ALSO HAVE ATTRIBUTES TO DEFINE THE TYPE OF ELEMENT AND ALSO

TO DEFINE SEPARATORS SUCH AS "-","/","No.", ETC USED BY ORIGINAL DATA AND WE CANNOT AFFORD

TO LOOSE ANY PIECE OF ORIGINAL DATA.

Also, there is an obvious difference in the conceptual models used by
UBL and xAL. For example, can you explain the criteria for deciding why
BuildingName is at one level and Premise details at another?  or why
there is AddressLines with children of AddressLine and at another level
there is FreeTextAddressLine?

YOU ARE CORRECT. THIS WAS AN OVERSIGHT AS IT IS ONLY A DRAFT VERSION.

THANKS FOR POINTING THIS OUT. IF YOU SEE ANY FURTHER ISSUES,

PLEASE LET US KNOW.

it would help if you have some conceptual model that describes the
business rules xAL uses.
WE ARE WORKING ON IT.

IT WILL BE GREAT IF YOU CAN LOOK INTO THE POSSIBILITY OF USING XNL SPECS.

THAT DESCRIBES PARTY NAME.

I LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR COMMENTS.

Regards,

Ram

--
regards
tim mcgrath

DOCUMENT ENGINEERING: Analyzing and Designing Documents for Business Informatics and Web Services
(coming soon from MIT Press)
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?sid=632C40AB-4E94-4930-A94E-22FF8CA5641F&ttype=2&tid=10476