ciq message

Subject: RE: CIQ V3.0 schemas

Hi Tim,

See my comments below in CAPS.

From: jon.bosak@sun.com [mailto:jon.bosak@sun.com]
Sent: Wed 1/12/2005 9:49 AM
To: ubl@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ubl] Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 10|11 January 2005

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
00H30 - 02H30 UTC TUESDAY 11 JANUARY 2005
      Liaison reports (if any)

      TimM: Have been discussing UBL/CIQ convergence with Ram
      Kumar.  Had understood that they were adopting the CC
      approach and the UBL NDRs for the next release of CIQ, but
      the material we're seeing doesn't bear this out.  There
      seems to be more emphasis on presentation of addresses than
      their semantics; this presents problems in mapping between
      CIQ and UBL.  CIQ seems to be getting a lot of adoption
      among government agencies, so it would be good if we could
      converge.
CIQ DOES NOT CONCENTRATE ON PRESENTATION. ALL IT DOES IS

THAT IT ENSURES THAT NONE OF THE ORIGINAL NAME AND ADDRESS DATA

ELEMENTS ARE LOST DURING REPRESENTATION IN XML. IN OTHER WORDS,

INDICATORS, FIELD SEPARATORS, LOCATORS, ETC IN THE ORIGINAL DATA

ARE PRESERVED. AT THE SAME TIME, IT ENSURES THAT THE NAME AND ADDRESS DATA

IS DECOMPOSED INTO ITS ATOMIC ELEMENT. ALL THERE ARE DONE TO MAINTAIN

THE INTEGRITY AND QUALITY OF DATA. DECOMPOSING DATA INTO ATOMIC ELEMENTS

IS TO DEFINE THE SEMANTICS OF THE DATA. SO, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU

MEAN BY CIQ DOES NOT CONCENTRATE ON SEMANTICS. ANY EXPLANATION WILL

BE GREAT.

      JonB: I thought from the initial description of the CIQ
      initiative that there would be an emphasis on semantics to
      support customer quality, targeting based on demographics,
      etc.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. AT THE SAME TIME, TO SUPPORT THE WORK

OF ADDRESS AUTHORITIES LIKE UPU, USPS, ETC, WE HAVE TO PRESERVE

THE ORIGINAL DATA.

      TimM: In the upcoming CIQ there are two models, Basic and
      Enhanced; the materials we've seen are for Basic.  Maybe the
      Enhanced model has the semantics.  Will check.

      JonB: WRT "XNL" (the other CIQ deliverable) -- this sounds
      like Person, which looks like it will be needed for
      government work.

      TimM: Person and Organization would be flavors of Party.

TO US A PARTY/CUSTOMER MEANS "PERSON" OR "AN ORGANISATION".

AN ORGANISATION COULD BE A GROUP, ASSOCIATION, COMMERCIAL

ORGANISATION, NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANISATION, CLUB, EDUCATIONAL

INSTITUTES, ETC.

Looking forward to your response. We are keen to have some alignment with

ebXML CC, but at the same time, we want to ensure that we continue to support different

types of applications that use naame and address data in different ways (eg. DQ, Single

customer views, CRMs, postal services, purchase order, invoicing, shipping, etc) . If

Regards,

Ram