ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] FW: CIQ V3.0 schemas

David,

Thanks. We know that CAM templatets can be used to transform an xAL representation into
say another representation (say, UBL, Hr-XML, etc). One of your outstanding task is to
map the xAL data into HR-XML and vice versa and I gaave you a sample address data represented
in both xAL and HR-XML. If you can give the results, we can always use it to promote CAM
as part of CIQ initiative.

Regards,

Ram

From: David Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Wed 1/12/2005 10:11 AM
To: Ram Kumar; fulton.wilcox@coltsnecksolutions.com
Cc: ciq@lists.oasis-open.org

Ram,

I'm presenting on the 14th @ DHS here in Wash DC on CAM and CCTS.  I think that will
help toward the alignment here.

Basically I see that one-to-one equivalence between a CCTS worldview and a CIQ view is
not necessarily at odds - CCTS should not be dictating what is attributes or elements.

Basically with CAM you can use them interchangably (solves the basic flaw in DTDs and
now Schema) by allowing you to apply typing and validation to them equally.

But as a general rule of thumb I use attributes to qualify aspects of an element.  This
is kinda intuitive:

e.g.  <font color="red" style="arial" size="3"/>

and <address type="postal" style="business" locale="USA">

The production rules for a UML model of a UBL address can then be geared up to
output accordingly - since parents have children and elements have parameters
within the UML model of the class diagram.  Then the production rules can output
both the structure (XSD) and the CAM template (rules) as needed.  This separation
makes for a much cleaner system.  Notice also that rules and definitions can be
stored into registry business noun semantic definitions (XSD and/or CAM syntax)
and instead of the UML model tool having to guess or hack at all this - it simply
references the UID of the appropriate item from the registry.

E.g.

<standard_usa_postal_address_format as:setUID="usps_101">

and so on.

We can discuss this more following on from the 14th present and I'll make
available the slides and feedback.  The notion of "address" and "person"
is one example use case I'm discussing there.

Thanks, DW