ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Use of OASIS code list specs. in CIQ TC V3.0?

Ram,

Sorry I don't get it!  "Represent a codelist" - but not suggest ones?  I think everyone knows what a codelist is and what it contains - so seems rather redundant busy work.  What is the value add here?  I'd hate for people to think that the "representation" is an actual codelist.  That was the huge potential whammy I warned about before to them.  Production codelists need to be machine optimized - not volumous bulky xml padding metadata heavy items.

I'd rather point people at ISO and machine processable examples - than top heavy metadata about codelists.

Just my preference.

We've seen way to many very bad XML practices become instutionalized into production code because of this failure for people to see the difference - and I hate to set this up to be another instance of confusion.

This stuff makes me nervous.  Care needed!

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
From: Ram Kumar <ram.kumar@oasis-open.org>
Date: Mon, April 16, 2007 5:05 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: Max Voskob <max.voskob@paradise.net.nz>,  "Bruehlmeier,David"
<david.bruehlmeier@sap.com>, David Bruehlmeier <typo3@bruehlmeier.com>,
ciq@lists.oasis-open.org

David,

No, we do not want to tell then what codelists they can use. The

suggestion is whether to use the XML schema provided

by Code list group to "represent" the code lists. The codelists could be

industry ones or specific ones of the users. But they

should be represented using the codelist representation schema provided

by Codelist group. This is my thought. A way of

representing the codelists using an industry standard.

Ram

David RR Webber (XML) wrote:

> Ram,

> So the idea is to suggest some codelists that can be used?  E.g. the

> ISO country codes and W3C language codes?

> So the use case is just "hinting" for implementers?

> DW

> "The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

codes,

>     etc...).

>     The define the metadata to use the codelists. So, I was

wondering whether

>     we need to use this metadata schema in CIQ to ensure consistent

use of

>     codelists by users.

>     Regards,

>     Ram

>      From San Diego, OASIS Symposium

>     David RR Webber (XML) wrote:

>     > Ram,

>     >

>     > Now I'm confused.  They explicitly say in their charter that

they are

>     > NOT doing that.

>     >

>     > If this has been reversed - then its a very bad issue.

>     >

>     > I think this may be confusing here however.  The schema may be

>     > describe metadata about the codelists - NOT the actual codelists

>     > themselves.

>     >

>     > DW

>     >

>     > "The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

>     >

>     >

"Bruehlmeier,David"

ciq@lists.oasis-open.org <#Compose>

>     >

>     >     David,

>     >

>     >     The code list TC have defined an XML schema to represent

the code

>     >     lists. This

>     >     is what I was thinking about.

>     >

>     >     Regards,

>     >

>     >     Ram

>     >

>     >

>     >     On 4/17/07, *David RR Webber (XML)* <david@drrw.info

<#Compose>

>     >     <mailto:david@drrw.info <#Compose>>> wrote:

>     >

>     >         Ram,

>     >

>     >         My understanding is that the codelists spec's are merely

>     >         guidelines.  There are NO formal XML formats.

>     >

>     >         Therefore - in terms of CIQ schema - I'd say there is

probably

>     >         "no action needed".

>     >

>     >         Notice however that implementers using CIQ may use

codelists -

>     >         typically ISO ones for country codes, language codes, and

>     >         such, and then in-country postal authorities for ZIP and

>     >         postal codes, etc.

>     >

>     >         I believe that the OASIS code list spec's make

reference to

>     >         just such "authoritative domain sources" (as does

OASIS BCM) -

>     >         and hence - so long as CIQ is providing the means to

support

>     >         those - I'm not sure there is more to be done at this

point -

>     >         except note that the OASIS codelist guidelines can be

>     >         referenced in support of CIQ.

>     >

>     >         Certainly I'd not anticipate any schema changes for

V3.0 CIQ.

>     >

>     >         In OASIS CAM we have an <Extension> mechanism for

handling

>     >         codelists - and for the UBL samples of CAM templates we

>     >         provide samples of various ISO and W3C codelist values

lookups

>     >         to illustrate the techniques.  Those lookups are actually

>     >         against the CIQ v2 schema content inside UBL of

course!  Same

>     >         thing for OASIS EML and their CIQ imports.   We could

point

>     >         people at those UBL examples for samples of using

codelists

http://xml.coverpages.org/freeb-ubl-Announce.html

>     >

>     >         Cheers, DW

>     >

>     >         "The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

>     >

>     >

>     >

CIQ TC

>     V3.0?

>     >             From: "Ram Kumar" < kumar.sydney@gmail.com <#Compose>

>     >             <mailto:kumar.sydney@gmail.com <#Compose>>>

>     >             Date: Mon, April 16, 2007 12:31 pm

>     >             To: ciq@lists.oasis-open.org <#Compose>

>     <mailto:ciq@lists.oasis-open.org <#Compose>>

>     >             Cc: "Max Voskob" <max.voskob@paradise.net.nz

<#Compose>

>     >             <mailto:max.voskob@paradise.net.nz <#Compose>>>,

"James Bryce Clark"

>     >             < jamie.clark@oasis-open.org <#Compose>

>     >             <mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org <#Compose>>>,

"Mary McRae"

<mailto:typo3@bruehlmeier.com <#Compose>>>

>     >

>     >             CIQ TC,

>     >

>     >             Just wondering whether we should implement OASIS

CODE LIST