ciq message

Subject: Re: [ciq] Use of OASIS code list specs. in CIQ TC V3.0?

Hi David,

Here is what the suggestion is:
Our current approach in V3.0:
- We have a separate schema for listing all the codes as enumeration
values. Users need to
create all the codelists in the schema that they want to use. It is a
single schema file for all codelists.
- The main payload schema (say, xAL.xsd, xNL.xsd) includes this codelist
schema.
- Users do not make any change to the main payload schema if they want
to modify the codelist. They
modify the schema codlist to do the changes.
- Validation of the XML document generated is done in one pass
(validation of the document against the
main schema and the codelist schema)

What has the codelist group done:
- A two phase validation approach, first phase for validating the
payload XML document and the next phase
is to validate the codelist values used in the payload.

I need to read it further to understand more about this. Below is the
response from Ken Holman to my questions.
 From Ram:
>Thanks very much! I had a quick look. What we are doing is:
>1. Have all the codlists represented as separate schema
>2. Include these codelist schema in the main payload schema.
>This allows users to modify the separate code list schema to include
>the codelist values (industry or their owns) without touching the
>main payload schema.

 From Ken:
But don't you have to touch the main payload schema in order to
change your import statements?  We worked towards a two-step approach
so that the XSD schema files remain untouched and read-only from the
published schemas from the committee.  Not even import statement
changes are needed.  Not even XSD is needed!

 From Ram:
>3. Validation of the payload schema for structure and syntax will be done
>alone with validation of the codelist values

 From Ken:
(I'm assuming you meant to say "along with" and not "alone with")

Then you'll have to use something other then genericode ... it is not
designed for validation.  But you can maintain your information in
genericode and then translate genericode into XSD for validation.

Genericode is not a schema format ... it is an agnostic
representation of a list of values.

Some might use that list for validation, others might use that list
for data entry.  Still others might use it solely for documentation
of item-level meta data.

 From Ram:
>I am thinking of replacing the above approach by using the code list
>representation schema of CodeList TC.

 From Ken:
You've added the word "schema" where it does not apply ... the CLRTC
is just for "Code List Representation".  The genericode schema is for
validating a representation of a code list, it is not a schema for
validating XML documents that use code list values.  Does this help?

 From Ram:
>We do not want to go for 2 phased validation approach,

 From Ken:
Why not?  It uses W3C-standardized XSD and ISO-standardized
Schematron as implemented in W3C-standardized XSLT.

 From Ram:
>but just to include the CodeList schema as part of
>our payload schema and do single pass validation.

 From Ken:
Why is it important to do single-pass validation?  We have come to
the realization that value validation is managed separately than
structural/lexical validation.  Yes you can conflate the two, but
then you have "disturbed" the XSD files with the modifications for values.

 From Ram:
>We want to use codelist schema because it is a standard way of representing
>codelists.

 From Ken:
Right ... it is not a standard way of representing code list value
validation ... just the code lists themselves.

 From Ram:
>What do you think about this approach?

 From Ken:
I think you may have misunderstood the objectives of the
CLRTC.  Users of our code lists might find them useful for validation
of XML documents (as in UBL), but the CLRTC is only validating the
code list representation, not the validation of XML documents using
code-list-based information items.

 From Ram:
 >Can this be done?

 From Ken:
Genericode files cannot be used in XSD schemas unless you choose to
write a translation of a genericode file into an XSD schema fragment.

 From Ram:
>Do you see any issues?

 From Ken:
In your payload schema, if you have one information item that is used
in two different document contexts (different element ancestry), what
do you do if the set of codes applicable in one document context are
different than the set of codes in the other document context?

XSD global elements and types have document-wide scope.  What if your
business rules demand less-than-document-wide scope?  Two-pass
validation handles both situations, whereas global declarations in
XSD schemas can only handle document-wide scope of code list definitions.

 From Ram:
>Does the main payload schema require to follow UBL NDR? I guess not.

 From Ken:
Correct, since value validation is separate from structural
validation, there are no constraints or guidelines on the structural
validation.  It is entirely a separate pass.

But, can you tell me why you think two-pass validation is
unacceptable in your environment?  Surely flexibility and the ability
to formalize code lists in context as artefacts would trump any
concerns that might be raised regarding performance.

I hope this has helped clarify things, Ram.

I believe this codelist spec. will help users to plug in any codelists
of our choice (e.g. existing codelists produced by
UBL) without changing the payload schema. Please provide suggestions.
Codelist spec. is available in the codelist
TC.

Regards,

Ram