ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Questions to answer before we decide whether to use CODELIST methodology

Ram,

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ciq] Questions to answer before we decide whether to use
CODELIST methodology
From: "Ram Kumar" <kumar.sydney@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, April 26, 2007 6:04 pm
To: ciq@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: "Max Voskob" <max.voskob@paradise.net.nz>,  "Bruehlmeier, David"
<david.bruehlmeier@sap.com>,  "David Bruehlmeier"
<typo3@bruehlmeier.com>,  "Colin Wallis" <colin_wallis@hotmail.com>,
"liz.kolster@ssc.govt.nz" <liz.kolster@ssc.govt.nz>,  "Graham Lobsey"
<globsey@msi.com.au>

TC members,

Please review the work of Ken Holman of CODELIST TC. He has put in lot
of effort to help us.

Please let me know your views.

Following are some of the questions that we need to answer before finalising the
use of codelist methodology in our specs:
- CIQ specs. are normally embedded as part of some work done by end users as they
are reusable components for defining party informaion. In such a case, are the users
forced to use codelist methodology as part of their overall work given that CIQ components
use them?

>>> Approach #2 (phase 2) - means they are optional

- Many applications use CIQ specs., not for data exchange purposes, but to capture
and use party information. Under such circumstances, is the use of codelist methodology an
over kill?

>>> Most definately - therefore approach #2 makes sense for them

- For example, emergency management TC, Tax XML TC and Election and voting services TC
use CIQ specs. as part of their specs. to define party information. If the above three TC specs.,
do not use Codelist methodology, does it then mean that implementer of the above three
specs. are forced to perform 2 phase validation just because CIQ specs., use Codelist?
Will this go well with the end users?

>>> I feel they already are doing 2 phase for all the other edits and checks anyway - notice they
      deliberately make most fields optional when they are not really - because they expect 2 phase
      checking.  Same thing for their own codelist values in their own content.
<<<

I look forward to your suggestions. We need to make a concrete decision regarding the use
of Codelist.

Regards,

Ram