clr-dev message

Subject: RE: [clr-dev] Code List Lessons Learned / Problems Encountered

Relating to your second point, I implemented over 50 bi-lingual (English / Arabic) code lists for a government. Most codes were numeric, so the same code appeared in several lists. The genericode metadata disambiguates these.

Paul Spencer

From: Sall, Kenneth [mailto:SallK@saic-dc.com]
Sent: 07 December 2009 7:18 PM
To: clr-dev@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello, all,

I’m participating in a NIEM-related code list tiger team. I’ve reviewed the CLR requirements from 2007 and the Genericode 1.0 specification that addresses the Version 1 requirements.

Our tiger team would be very interested in collecting any information (metrics, use cases, anecdotal comments, or simply opinions) of problems encountered and lessons learned in working with code lists that led to any of the CLR requirements. This is partially addressed in Section 2 of the spec (“What is a Code List?”) and in a presentation by Tony Coates. We are especially interested in systemic problems – a la root cause analysis.

Examples of the kind of problems we are interested in capturing (independent of Genericode):

n System A added an “unknown” code XYZ to a local copy of a standard code list without realizing that code was already in use.

n Code 123 appears in 2 related code lists, A and B, but the meaning is different each list, so metadata is needed to clarify the full context.

Thanks in advance for your insights and experiences.

Kenneth B.Sall

Data Architect / Sr. XML Data Analyst

202-261-9045 (office)

410-952-2076 (cell)

Kenneth.B.Sall@saic.com

sallk@saic-dc.com

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication. Thank you.