cmis-comment message

Subject: cmis:property*Definition element name

Right now, the element name for a property, either when describing an entry or when looking at a type definition, includes the property type. Examples:

<cmis:propertyBooleanDefinition>
<cmis:propertyIntegerDefinition>
<cmis:propertyStringDefinition>

I realize that one advantage of the current scheme is that the server can determine the property type by looking at the element name without further parsing.

Despite that advantage (maybe there are others?), this feels bad for at least a couple of reasons. It makes it painful to grab the collection of property definitions, for example, especially because they aren't enclosed by a common root element. Plus, it just seems like a bad idea to embed semantics into your element name (why do that when you've got attributes and elements that are better read by XML parsers).

The property definition element already contains the property type (cmis:propertyType) so embedding the type in the element name seems redundant. I recommend the property definition element names be changed to "propertyDefinition".

Jeff