Subject: RE: [cmis] Proposal CMIS TC issue process

I like the flow-chart and the general tone of this conversation.

I only recently noticed that the standing rules for handling proposals at
the ODF TC are published at the bottom of the public page for that TC.  This
uses a different mechanism for proposals than the issue-tracking
arrangement, but there may be some harmony with what David is asking for.

That page is at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office
the Standing Rules are at the "Additional Information" link.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Choy_David@emc.com [mailto:Choy_David@emc.com]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/cmis/200901/msg00004.html
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 18:13
To: albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
Cc: cmis@lists.oasis-open.org; gershon@qroot.com

I am all for simplicity. We should adopt a process that minimizes
unnecessary overhead and bottleneck. Electronic tools allow us work
asynchronously and in parallel. The main source of bottleneck is TC
meeting/voting. In that regard, I wonder:

-          Is it necessary for the TC to vote to accept/reject each
submitted issue? Before taking this vote, we need to discuss the merit of
the issue. After an issue is accepted, we then start the real discussion.
Why don't we just automatically accept all submitted issues and start
discussion right away? Rejecting an issue is a resolution one can propose.

-          Do we go over all open issues in every TC meeting? If there are
many open issues that are not yet ready for decision, this just turns
parallel discussions into a serial one, even though we are trying to
determine the status of each one in the meeting. Ideally, in each TC
meeting, we only want to handle issues that are ready for decision or that
need conscious action to make further progress. In that case, who decide
which issue is ready or needs attention? What are the guidelines? If a
single person is to monitor the progress of all issues, that person can
become a bottleneck.

[ ... ]