Subject: RE: [cmis] Spec formatting

NB. "** Disclaimer" at the end of the message

[Dennis]
"the published form of the specification needs printed line numbers..."

I don't normally disagree with Dennis E. Hamilton (who is
obviously hard at work in OASIS TCs - thanks, Dennis!), but here
offer an alternative opinion about line numbers:

* I don't think line numbers are required in the "published" form
   of the OASIS specification (or in any SSO's specification); in
   most cases, I don't think they are desirable.

* OASIS TCs should designate one of the three required formats
   (editable source, HTML/XHTML, PDF) as "authoritative" [1],
   and (thus) 'HTML/XHTML' may be THE authoritative format
   version.  Some TCs, as in other SSOs, author in HTML/XHTML,
   so the editable source *IS* the (X)HTML, and no word
   processor format is ever available.  The published (X)HTML version
   will not have line numbers.  Obviously

* In 2009, in the WWW environment, I think HTML/XHTML is by
   far the superior choice for a specificiation format: that's
   why (e.g.,) W3C publishes its deliverables in (X)HTML.
   Much better (hypertext) functionality, etc... [arguments
   omitted here -- and indeed, I don't intend to launch a
   debate about the (de)merits of competing formats]

* As far as I know, the idea os using line numbers in specs
   is a recent "innovation" -- oddly, because we have had the
   technical ability to print line numbers for decades.

   In early 2007 (maybe late 2006?), I made a quick survey of the
   standards space, using the Internet and my small collection of
   ISO and ANSI print copy standards: I found no standards that
   use line numbers. [NB, the situation is now slightly different]

   I think I checked W3C [3], IETF [4], ISO [5], WS-I [6],
   Unicode Consortium [7], DCMI [8], ANSI/NISO [9], OMG [10],
   ITU-T [11], IEEE [12], ECMA [13], ETSI [14], XBRL [15]
     (references missing, but I can supply for anyone who wishes)

   The reason is that well-written specifications are finely
   granulated by (sub)section identifiers, and identifiers for
   figures, tables, etc.  Lack of line numbers has never --
   as far as I know -- been an impediment to good standards work.
   In the typical case, lemma citation requires or benefits from substring
   quoting as well as provision of identifier(ID).

   In summary: while the topic of line numbering for specs could be debated,
   I think everyone agrees that a specification becomes clearer
   and easier to use when the (sub)sections are finely granulated,
   and provided with machine-readable (URI-addressable, linkable) anchors
   for hypertext navigation.  This memo has been written chiefly to
   encourage good document design which does not depend upon line
   numbers for citation.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2008-06-19.php#specQuality

Verbatim:

Editable formats of all versions of TC documents must be
delivered to the TC's document repository. TC Working
Drafts may be in any format (i.e. produced by any application).
All TC-approved versions of documents (i.e. Committee Drafts,
Public Review Drafts, and Committee Specifications) must be
delivered to the TC's document repository in the (1) editable
source, (2) HTML or XHTML, and (3) PDF formats; and the TC
must explicitly designate one of those delivered formats as
the authoritative document. Any links published by the TC
shall be to the HTML, XHTML and/or PDF formats stored using
repositories and domain names owned by OASIS and as approved
by the TC Administrator.

All schema and XML instances, whether by inclusion or by
reference, including fragments of such, must be well formed.
All expressions must be valid. Each schema and XML instance
that is part of the specification must be delivered in its
own separate plain text file.

** Disclaimer: this memo is not official OASIS guidance; it's just a
personal (but studied) opinion by an OASIS Staff members speaking
for himself as an individual, not for OASIS Staff.

Cheers,

  - Robin Cover

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html