Subject: RE: [cmis] Spec formatting

1. Actually, the use of line numbers in specifications is a forgotten
practice, used back when it was hard but it was the printer who had to do
it, not some desktop-publishing software.  I worked on ANSI X3.4
specifications in the 60s that had marginal line numbers.  I don't think I
have any copies left though.

2. I have no quarrel with the omission of line numbers in XHTML documents,
where pagination is also not used, but that does make the use of permalinks
all the more valuable.

3. [Off-topic: The best place for line numbers to be useful is when a PDF is
the authoritative text.  For office-document formats the line numbers are
not authoritative (and neither is the document, really) because the
pagination and numbering can differ from one computer to another, and one
version/platform/configuration of the software to another (leading to a
variety of fidelity issues).  I do not think [X]HTML of lengthy texts or
ones in multiple pages are a good idea, unless a downloadable complete
version is also provided.  There are fidelity issues between different user
agents and it is important to be able to use the document reliably in an
off-line situation, including printed on paper.  That pretty much makes the
default choice a PDF at the current state of our technology.

You cannot believe how many man hours were wasted on the just-issued ODF 1.0
Errata 01 document because of problems counting lines, applying changes to
the wrong, but similar, place, etc.

4. [Agreement [;<) I enthusiastically agree with Robin Cover that having
finer granularity for section and even paragraph numbering will also do the
job.  Either way permits annotation of implementations, conformance reports,
and other artifacts (sermons included) by precise reference to appropriate
passages of the specification.  I accept the spirit of that completely.

 - Dennis

PS: Robin, Thanks for the quote on what must be delivered from the TC.  It
answers a question about schemas that I have over on another TC.