Subject: Proposal for a Permanent Plugfest Environment

Hello,

as discussed in the last CMIS TC Call, here is a proposal for a permanent online plugfest environment, to be accessed by participants of the CMIS TC and their partners, to test and validate interoperability between various systems.

Several concerns have been raised, that made previous attempts unsuccessful, including: - The environment must be properly secured and protected, we cannot allow open access in the Internet (except maybe for Open Source systems)
- Every vendor wants to be in control of who receives access to what
- Management overhead must be minimal, vendors cannot allocate dedicated resources for this
- Cost must be minimal, most vendors have no additional budget available

If these concerns can be addressed, the online environment will also show valuable benefits, including:
- lower cost for travel and expenses, F2F meetings can take place less often
- faster turn-around for new releases, vendors don't need to wait for the next F2F meeting - scalable for many more partners, as more vendors support CMIS and more solutions need to get tested

The proposal assumes that every vendor is responsible for his own software, e.g. installation and configuration as needed to work in a plugfest. Vendors who already have an online test / demo environment can continue to use it, vendors who want to build one can work with me to set this up on Amazon AWS. I will not host any vendor software, but provide the following components that make it easier to work together:

1) a centralized user access and management environment, based on an LDAP directory. This is probably the most important element, as it allows to control access to all installations. The LDAP directory implements jointly agreed policies, I would start with the following suggestion: - every vendor assigns an administrator who is responsible to manage all users from his own company - per default, every user has visibility and access to other users and systems from his own company only - if two vendors agree to setup a partnership, visibility and access will be extended to each other. It can be terminated by each vendor if needed.

I have an LDAP implementation with these settings up and running. Most ECM systems are able to use LDAP for authorization and authentication. This eliminates adminsitrative tasks, while keeping control at each vendor.

2) a control environment to start and stop instances on Amazon as needed. This allows to start instances only when needed, significantly reducing cost for AWS. This feature is optional and only applies to vendors who decide to run their software on AWS.

3) a reverse proxy to further control and limit access to the ECM servers. It also solves the issue with changing IP addresses within AWS, it can map a fixed domain name to whatever IP gets used when starting up the instance. The use of the reverse proxy is optional as well.

4) an online discussion forum to find resolutions for any issues. This could be JIRA or something else, access should be restricted to the group to avoid general support questions from the public. Alternatively, the existing OASIS JIRA can be used.

This proposal is different to some previous discussions about a hosted demo environment, as it does not include a hosting offering from my side. The technology above is mostly available, and we could quickly start a prototype with interested partners.

I am sure that an easy way to test and validate solutions with a larger number of CMIS servers is an important element to increase the adoption of CMIS, especially for those vendors who are not (yet) part of the TC. That's why I am so interested to get this done.

I am very interested to hear whether this would be useful.

thanks

--
Karsten Eberding

St.-Martin-Str. 19