Subject: Proposal for CMIS Educational / Promotional Activities

Hello,

as discussed in the last call, here are a three specific proposals for educational and promotional activities around CMIS.

A) Writing a book on CMIS, draft title is "A Guide to CMIS"
===================================
Target audience: solution architects, project managers, decision makers for ECM products, product managers (not a detailed programmer's guide for actual implementations, maybe this would be of interest too?)

Proposed Chapters:
1) History
  - original intentions, initiating companies, expected benefits
  - relationship with other standards (ODMA, JCR, WebDAV)
  - common use cases

2) Elements of the standard (general description, not a detailed programmer's guide)
  - domain model
  - bindings

3) Concepts for Implementing CMIS servers
  - authentication
  - access control and security
  - queries and full-text search
  - mapping of optional elements
- frameworks and tools for implementation and test (Apache Chemistry, TCK)

4) Concepts for Implementing CMIS clients
  - example implementation
  - handling of optional components
  - sample implementations (mostly open source)

5) Customer Success Stories
- 2-3 case studies, provided by interested vendors participating in the CMIS TC

6) Outlook on CMIS 1.1 and 2.0

This is a major effort. I would be willing to work on this, provided there is enough interest from the TC and participating vendors, as measured in either a) sponsorships, so the final book can be given out for free (eBook) or very low cost (printed), or
b) commitment from vendors to buy a certain number of books
Details should be discussed

B) Success Stories Booklet
================
Create a collection of success stories, from customers or partners who have successfully implemented CMIS. Individual success stories would need to come from vendors, I would collect them and combine them into an appropriate format. Target audience are interested customers and partners who want to see how CMIS impacts the market and creates benefits for all participants. The final document should be available for free download from OASIS, as well as interested TC members

C) Participation in ECM events and conferences
=============================
For the upcoming DMS Expo in October in Stuttgart, Germany, we can organize a "CMIS booth", allowing live demos and presentations of various application / repository combinations from participating vendors. This would be relatively low cost (as many vendors share the booth), and could create a lot of visibility for CMIS. If successful, this could be repeated in other countries (eg AIIM conference and similar)

Interoperability should be promoted from multiple vendors together. All proposals include participation from multiple vendors, which reduces cost and effort for every single vendor while underlining the commitment to participate in CMIS.

We can also discuss other activities, like Webinars, videos, white papers and others, but I hope the above list gives a starting point.

thanks

--
Karsten Eberding

St.-Martin-Str. 19