Subject: Re: [cmis] Response to public comment on Paths

+1. Non-material.

A special case for the root path works.

We might also make a more general fix (in italics):

A path for an object may be calculated by taking the item's parent folder cmis:path property and append-
ing the '/' character, if the parent's path does not have a trailing '/', and the object's pathSegment.

I don't know if the original intent was to allow trailing /'s or not, but someone intent on defending them could do so with a little semantic hair-splitting.
It wouldn't hurt to cover both cases.

From:        "Mueller, Florian" <florian.mueller02@sap.com>
To:        David Choy <david.choy500@gmail.com>, "cmis@lists.oasis-open.org" <cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>,
Date:        10/10/2012 03:55 AM
Sent by:        <cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>

+1 for continuing the process.

Florian

From: Jay Brown <jay.brown@us.ibm.com>
Date:
Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2012 22:42
To:
David Choy <
david.choy500@gmail.com>
Cc:
"
cmis@lists.oasis-open.org" <cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [cmis] Response to public comment on Paths

+1 for your suggestion:

  "... fix this bug; have the TC confirm the change being "non-material"; and then continue the process. "

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group

jay.brown@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for David Choy ---10/09/2012 12:47:25 PM---To all, We received the following public comment and we need tDavid Choy ---10/09/2012 12:47:25 PM---To all, We received the following public comment and we need to decide our action

David Choy <
david.choy500@gmail.com>

cmis@lists.oasis-open.org,

10/09/2012 12:47 PM

[cmis] Response to public comment on Paths

Sent by:

<
cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>

To all,

We received the following public comment and we need to decide our action quickly:

"2.1.5.3 Paths

The algorithm to calculate the path needs a special case for root (to be in line with the example).
Otherwise the path of folder A would be //A.
An alternative more regular solution would be for paths of folders to always end with a slash.
For example /, /A/, /A/B/
Although it is more difficult to spec to be compatible with 1.0."

Section 2.1.5.3 is meant to define Paths similar to conventional file system paths. The apparent deviation reported in this comment indicated we have a bug. My suggestion is to fix this bug; have the TC confirm the change being "non-material"; and then continue the process. The recently revised approval process allowed "non-material change", so our delay would be just the editing time plus 1 week of electronic ballot. However, if the TC failed to confirm that the change is "non-material", then we have to re-start the entire approval process: first approve the revised draft as a CSD, then approve it for public review and conduct a new 15-day public review for the change. This would add at least another month to the process besides editing.

An alternative is to keep the current description as-is. Then revise the spec through an Errata after v1.1 is approved as an OASIS Standard. Time-wise, an Errata for v1.1 won't come out until the end of 2013 or later. This approach would reflect to the public a choice for expedience over quality for v1.1.

Please reply to this email with your thoughts before Friday so we can decide if we need next Monday's TC meeting to discuss this. If the responses seem to agree, one way or another, we will proceed accordingly without further delay. Please indicate if you consider such change being "material" or "non-material", and which of the two ways suggested in the public comment that we should use to fix this section (if you care).

Thanks.

David