Subject: Re: [cmis] Question on cmis:objectid

The proposal is from Eric Chan (Oracle) and we expect to see some more details on this from him soon.  But the difference from a version series (as I understand it) is that a version series is not a document.  So for example you could get the latest version (which is a doc) from the version series.  (among other things)  But this new representative id that Eric is proposing is an actual document id.  It just dynamically refers to the latest doc version.   You would not be able to tell it apart from a normal (fixed version) document id.

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Peter Monks ---10/08/2013 01:33:47 PM---Thanks for your response Jay, and thanks also to Jeff for hitPeter Monks ---10/08/2013 01:33:47 PM---Thanks for your response Jay, and thanks also to Jeff for hitting one of my followup questions.  ;-)

Peter Monks <pmonks@alfresco.com>

Jeff Potts <jeff.potts@alfresco.com>, Jay Brown/Costa Mesa/IBM@IBMUS,

cmis@lists.oasis-open.org

10/08/2013 01:33 PM

Re: [cmis] Question on cmis:objectid

Thanks for your response Jay, and thanks also to Jeff for hitting one of my followup questions.  ;-)  I assume the primary difference between cmis:versionSeriesId and this hypothetical new identifier is that the new identifier would be mandatory for all objects (unlike cmis:versionSeriesId)?

I wonder if there's some way to make cmis:versionSeriesId mandatory in a future version of the specification instead of creating a new type of identifier, so as not to overload consumers with three different forms of identifier?  Really only two forms of identifier should be needed, as best I can tell:
It would also be beneficial to "overload" all of the services that currently take a cmis:objectId with the ability to take a cmis:versionSeriesId (or the new identifier, if a 3rd type of identifier is the chosen path forward) instead.  Right now the only services that are like this are getObject / getObjectOfLatestVersion and getProperties / getPropertiesOfLatestVersion, but arguably every single service that currently takes a cmis:objectid should accept either type of identifier.

Finally, I also wanted to mention that getObjectByPath is unsuitable for this purpose, as paths aren't immutable (which makes them poor identifiers).

Cheers,
Peter