Subject: Re: [codelist] code list validation

> From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
> So, perhaps, this would be for guiding data entry
> using a tool that only supported W3C Schema?

Yes I was only addressing W3C schema, not intending to exclude other schema
languages but W3C schema is what we use here.

> >I think this would have significant utility, and it seems so simple.
>
> Yes, though it does seem repetitive in that it
> duplicates existing functionality (however
> limited the enumeration of a set of values is that is already there).

Our interest is only for lists that are either very long or are dynamic. For
short static lists inline enumeration is fine (so I suppose the example I
gave is misleading.  Here is a better example:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/relator/relatorlist.html )

> >Would
> >it be reasonable for this TC to formulate a recommendation along these
> >lines, and forward it to the W3C?
>
> There are procedures to do so, but in my
> standards experience I have not seen the
> introduction of something new that supplants
> something that exists.

As noted by Renato, there is a simpler approach so no need for this.

 Thanks, Ken.

--Ray