Subject: RE: [csaf] Re: [External] : [csaf] Provider Metadata - Feedback needed

Dear Feng,

please find the responses inline:

> I agree that the discovery about which organisations providing CSAF
> documents is a valid issue and should be addressed when there are many
> organizations using CSAF.

It is not only about the discovery, this question is really about distributing CSAF documents. We are in a unique position with the fresh start of CSAF 2.0:
- Asset owners (especially in the OT/ICS space) are searching for a system to automate their advisory handling. They have a lot of different vendors - so they want a system that is easy and just works.
- Additionally, new vendors (especially in that area) are now starting to implement the vulnerability management in their own processes (and of course we want them to use CSAF...)
- the VEX profile gets CSAF additional attention in the SBOM community
- national CSIRTs are looking into CSAF to use it for their own processes and provide CSAF documents of relevant vendors as a service to their critical infrastructure
=> If people start to implement CSAF 2.0 and didn't had anything before, it is always easier to start with all parts of automation from the beginning rather than add that part later when everybody has a different (incompatible) system.
=> It makes it much easier for users, if they can use one implementation for all vendors instead of having a different one for each vendor. This will aid in the adoption of CSAF 2.0.

And to be clear: Even though I would recommend to support automation (and provide the necessary information) - no one is required to. The role "CSAF publisher" has the minimal requirements (see https://github.com/oasis-tcs/csaf/blob/master/csaf_2.0/prose/csaf-v2-editor-draft.md#71-requirements 1 to 4) - none of them is about providing support for automation.
I hope that this will be solved by the market - either through paid services which collect CSAF document from different parties and provide them in a single location (role "CSAF aggregator") or by the customers who require the vendor to become a "CSAF provider" during the purchase process... (Looking at EO14028, I guess the govs will use the second approach. Having that in the standard will also help to prevent that companies have to provide their CSAF documents in multiple different ways because every country came up with a novel solution.)

> But is it really needed to be in CSAF 2.0? If there will be many
> organizations providing CSAF in the next several months, please let me
> know.

Probably not right after the standard is release but we are working on that. And I'm sure you're too.
We are in contact with a lot of companies (both asset owners and vendors) about the introduction of CSAF 2.0. Moreover, CSAF 2.0 get advertised all our CVD cases. There are presentations at conferences like Black Hat USA and FIRST.

> A quick alternative solution might be to provide a host page (probably
> in oasis or github) listing the organizations and their directories for
> CSAF documents (the page format can be discussed), and this page can be
> mentioned in CSAF 2.0 document so that each organization will have its
> CSAF info added into the page. This TC can be in charge of the page and
> approve/add the new CSAF info when a request from an organization is
> received.

The PR suggests a format for such a list. But the benefit here is, that the users are not limited to the list the TC (or any other central party) provides. Since the format is specified, everyone can setup a list and the user chooses whom to trust. Moreover, we provide the opportunity for people to create a business model around that and still ensure that it benefits the community as they are all compatible due to the common format.

I hope that clarifies the intentions and benefits of that PR.

Best regards,
Thomas