cti-comment message

Subject: RE: [cti-comment] STIX/TAXII Data Life Cycling

Hello There,

Just wondering if you had any insights to share.

Regards,

Jeff

From: Jeff LoSpinoso
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 2:44 PM
To: JG <jg@ctin.us>; cti-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

Hello Jane,

So here’s what I’ve got. Our SIEM platform has a built-in TAXII client. I set up a feed from a TAXII server where the SIEM platform basically just creates a list of IPv4 addresses. Our SIEM vendor has told us that we must apply a time to live so the list does not grow to larger over time. They state that the only way an indicator can be removed from the list is by way of a TTL enforced on the list where this TTL is pulled from thin air having nothing to do with any dates provided by the TXF. My response to them is that the only way something should be removed from the downstream copy of the Threat Feed is if the Threat Feed says so.

A simple analogy. If an Airline maintains a copy of the DHS no-Fly list for their own use, they should not remove a bad guys name off the list just because it’s been there for more than X number of days. It should only be removed when DHS says it should be removed.

So what are the mechanisms for a TAXII Client to stay in sync with its authoritative feed? Similar to how Active Directory replicates objects (including deletions) I would imagine.

I’ve searched high and low and can’t find any clues as to how this works. To my sad surprise our SIEM vendor, a household name in IT, clearly hasn’t a clue as demonstrated by their urging to just arbitrarily drop indicators based on a random TTL.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy you weekend wherever you are.

Regards,

Jeff