Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX Object Selection

I would advocate against the "lets include it because it is easy" approach.

If there is not a strong use case for an object *or* there is not a strong champion on the list to advocate for it - then skip it (IE, an object should need a strong use case *and* a strong champion who actually uses it today in active use). Adding later is easier than revising or removing.

I have another proposal as well. There are a large number of objects in here that are only used by MAEC. I wonder if these should be grouped into some MAEC extension of Cybox if they have no strong champions outside of the MAEC realm. Thoughts?

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Kirillov, Ivan A." ---02/02/2016 01:17:08 PM---As we discussed today, one the things we’d like to d"Kirillov, Ivan A." ---02/02/2016 01:17:08 PM---As we discussed today, one the things we’d like to do soon is figure out the set of Objects that wil

From: "Kirillov, Ivan A." <ikirillov@mitre.org>
To: "cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 02/02/2016 01:17 PM
Subject: [cti-cybox] CybOX Object Selection
Sent by: <cti-cybox@lists.oasis-open.org>

As we discussed today, one the things we’d like to do soon is figure out the set of Objects that will make be included in CybOX 3.0: https://github.com/CybOXProject/schemas/wiki/CybOX-3.0:-Object-Selection. This will help us scope the release and allow us to prioritize efforts on some of the critical refactoring that needs to be done (e.g., around Network Connection).

Overall, there appeared to be consensus on NOT including any new Objects in CybOX 3.0 and focusing on refactoring the existing set from v2.1. While there wasn’t clear consensus on the green-field approach, it appeared that many thought it would serve as a suitable starting point for determining this set, with the following considerations:For #2, here’s the list of Objects that would currently NOT be included in the CybOX 3.0 Object set for the green-field approach (no known usage from CTI-stats or MAEC):Regards,
Ivan