Subject: Re: [cti-cybox] CybOX Object Selection

>If there is not a strong use case for an object *or* there is not a strong champion on the list to advocate for it - then skip it (IE, >an object should need a strong use case *and* a strong champion who actually uses it today in active use). Adding later is >easier than revising or removing.

I agree – I think in the past we were adding Objects to meet potential use cases, without great clarity or definition. Going forward, I think we need some concrete evidence as to why something should be included.

>I have another proposal as well. There are a large number of objects in here that are only used by MAEC. I wonder if these >should be grouped into some MAEC extension of Cybox if they have no strong champions outside of the MAEC realm. >Thoughts?

This could be an interesting proposition, but what would an extension really entail? A subset of CybOX that is only necessary to support if you use MAEC, or something more notional? Also, some of the Objects used by MAEC (e.g., DNS Query) could be applicable to many other domains. Maybe what we really need is a “malware analysis” subset, a “digital forensics” subset, etc.?

Regards,
Ivan