Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Threat actor classification info for today's meeting

FYI, this Taxonomy (used in TARA from what I know) was highlighted (by
Jane) some time ago in 'this' working group.

http://making-security-measurable.1364806.n2.nabble.com/STIX-Report-Template-for-Threat-Intelligence-and-Incident-Response-td7587454.html

(and there http://fr.slideshare.net/jeromeathias/threat-modeling-capecwebapplication
)

While I reviewed and used these documents as part of a personal
research project, I can tell that I found interesting elements in it.
Moreover, while I used quite a lot of resources regarding the
discussed domain, I would argue that the interesting identified
elements have been validated and consolidated against other
researches.
With that said, I have to say that I tried to highlight concepts like
"Threat Agents" (vs "Threat Actor" in STIX, or just "Actor" in, i.e.
OMG) while more commonly used as a term for this concept in the
(numerous) documents (including international standards...)/researches
I've reviewed.
The same for "Assets" or "IT Assets".
Facts are that I have the feeling that due to the different
background, experience of focus/objectives of our members today, these
"abstracted concepts" are still not commonly understood, or the
benefits (such as an easier mapping of the information/data exchanged
in "CTI objects" with other domains' formats, international
standards/frameworks concepts and terminology) of using these terms,
as abstracted terms/concepts/objects is not currently understood by
the majority of our members.

My current feeling is that an effort of "simplification" through a
visual representation of the Cyber Information Model would help to
save time for the community, for common understanding and consensus.
A small group of us are currently (or in a near future) working on it
using a conceptual modeling (mind map) methodology approach...
Another small group initiated (and tried to promote) an Ontology approach...

But some questions, regarding this specific topic:
- Is TAL available as an XML, or Excel file? (I mean something
directly machine-usable other than PDF)
- Is there a "License" around it?
- Would it be envisioned to make it available, for example, as a IANA registry?
(- Did you do any mapping with other taxonomies, for example VERIS?)

- Same questions for TARA...

Best regards