Subject: Re: [cti-stix] Relationship name tweaks - attributed-to

I weighed in on Slack but not via email.

I also agree with Terry's reasoning. There is also another benefit - by having these distinct relationships, it gives us the ability and opportunity later to add normalized relationship-specific fields - pieces of data that are only valid for that one type of relationship, as opposed to having to shoe-horn that data all into custom fields.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Coderre, Robert" ---09/22/2016 11:05:37 PM---I am coming around to Terry's way of thinking on this. "Coderre, Robert" ---09/22/2016 11:05:37 PM---I am coming around to Terry's way of thinking on this. The single level relationship is much easier

From: "Coderre, Robert" <rcoderre@verisign.com>
To: Terry MacDonald <terry.macdonald@cosive.com>
Cc: "Bret Jordan (CS)" <Bret_Jordan@symantec.com>, "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>, JG on CTI-TC <jg@ctin.us>
Date: 09/22/2016 11:05 PM
Sent by: <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

I am coming around to Terry's way of thinking on this. The single level relationship is much easier to parse and multiple relationships between SDOs only enriches the story we are trying to convey.

The relationship we have defined now, attributed-to, is the generic use case. It can be used with a minimum of information, and in many cases is a mere assertion.

What Gary and the others are suggesting are more nuanced relationships that convey a deeper meaning. I would expect that if someone were to use a planned-by relationship, there is more evidence to support that, versus a generic attribution. Same for executed-by and others yet to come.

We are not restricted to adding these additional relationships. Perhaps it may make more sense to stop at the generic case for 2.0 and if we see significant adoption of some of these other relationship types to add them to the vocabulary in 2.1 and beyond.

--
Rob Coderre
iDefense, Director of Product Management

On Sep 22, 2016, at 3:13 PM, Terry MacDonald <