Subject: Re: Re: [cti-stix] RE https://github.com/oasis-tcs/cti-stix2/issues/28

I disagree that it needs to be deprecated.

You could easily just add an enum that says the string contains multiple in future for combinational language strings and define rules on how you qualify the content as have been suggested to do that.

I just donât think we should be doing that as step1 which is what you are suggesting.

Allan

From: Jason Keirstead <Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 at 7:12 AM
To: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Cc: "cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-stix@lists.oasis-open.org>

"So if someone wants to add an IP address to a signature in Snort then they would just do that. They wouldnât update the Snort signature to combine with STIX2."

It's not about that. It is about using Snort for the network traffic part and YARA for the file part and being able to combine them both in an indicator in STIX. Something neither language can do today. There are toolchains that support both Snort and YARA.

I did create the seperate Github item for tracking. https://github.com/oasis-tcs/cti-stix2/issues/162

However it should be noted that that is basically going to deprecate this property once implemented. So we are going forward with something we already know will be deprecated.

-
Jason Keirstead
Lead Architect - IBM Security Connect
www.ibm.com/security

"Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure."

- Thomas J. Watson