Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] TAXII Use Cases

Jason,

Thank you for posting this. I’d like to highlight one of your paragraphs, as I see it as probably the most important perspective this group should have:

> When considering development of TAXII 2.0, I feel like this is an opportunity to do things well, and in order to do that, we need to get back to root principals. What are the things TAXII wants to do, what is it trying to solve? Only when your end goal is understood in a clear and concise way can one hope to create a standard that enables that goal.

With that, I’ll hit on some other points from the thread.

# Architecture

This is a bit of a tangent, and forgive the ugliness, but I’ve attempted to draw the architecture Jason described (perhaps with my own un-noticed biases). I used PlantUML[1] (Note: SourceForge is currently down), and I’ve attached my source file in case anyone is interested. I find PlantUML to be pretty useful for quickly whiteboarding ideas.

Notional Architecture:

# Use Cases

Focusing on back on use cases (the subject of this thread), I think what we have is a good starting point, and eventually we’ll need to increase the level of abstraction for the use cases offered so far. Fortunately, there is a very easy process for raising a use-case’s level of abstraction: Ask Why. Ask why until the use case is sufficiently high level.

I’ll pick on the use case of: “storing messages and allowing querying”. I personally – with the information provided – do not have enough information to determine whether I think message storage/query is something that TAXII 2.0 should support. So I’ll ask why. Why do we need storage and query? I’ll note that this is not Bret’s question alone to answer – anyone who has any answer should feel compelled to provide it. Multiple answers will provide a greater selection of use cases and perspectives.

                I’ll also note that this message is meant to encourage contribution of all use cases, no matter how high or low level. It’s an easy and useful process to turn a low-level use case into a high-level use case. It’s easy because we just ask “why?”; it’s useful because we might get unanticipated answers that help make TAXII better (e.g., I won’t know what you’re thinking if you don’t say it). More use cases are always better than less use cases, because more use cases gives you more to work with. So please do not hesitate to offer your thoughts on use cases.

As for my own contribution of use cases, I’ll offer these:

·         Send an Indicator

·         Send a Sighting

I think many of you who have read this far will be asking: “Why?”

Thank you.

-Mark

[1] http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/