Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] TAXII Use Cases

- One thing I would add to the drawing - Organization 2 also talking to the Threat Exchange.

- RE Storing - One "why" I could give for storage is for resiliency. Without storage of messages on the TAXIi server, if I ever do not have a connection to the server when an important sighting or indicator is shared, I will never receive that message. IE, one can not assume that all consumers are "live".

- RE Querying - The "why" here hinges on who we would rather be the logical owner of the database of record of threat data, the server or the client. If you want to have a centralized database of record, then the client should be able to query that database. If there is no querying in the protocol and the sever in fact has no database of record (and is simply assumed to be a broker), then client systems will have to build up a copy of the database of record and query it locally instead. In a way this decision is analogous to if you want to do distributed or centralized source control.

-
Jason Keirstead
Product Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security Systems
www.ibm.com/security | www.securityintelligence.com

Inactive hide details for "Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/07/20 02:26:03 PM---Jason, Thank you for posting this. I'd like to high"Davidson II, Mark S" ---2015/07/20 02:26:03 PM---Jason, Thank you for posting this. I'd like to highlight one of your paragraphs, as I see it as prob

From: "Davidson II, Mark S" <mdavidson@mitre.org>
To: "Jordan, Bret" <bret.jordan@bluecoat.com>, Jason Keirstead/CanEast/IBM@IBMCA
Cc: Ron Williams <Ron.Williams@us.ibm.com>, "cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org" <cti-taxii@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 2015/07/20 02:26 PM

Jason,

Thank you for posting this. I’d like to highlight one of your paragraphs, as I see it as probably the most important perspective this group should have:

With that, I’ll hit on some other points from the thread.

# Architecture
This is a bit of a tangent, and forgive the ugliness, but I’ve attempted to draw the architecture Jason described (perhaps with my own un-noticed biases). I used PlantUML[1] (Note: SourceForge is currently down), and I’ve attached my source file in case anyone is interested. I find PlantUML to be pretty useful for quickly whiteboarding ideas.

Notional Architecture:

# Use Cases
Focusing on back on use cases (the subject of this thread), I think what we have is a good starting point, and eventually we’ll need to increase the level of abstraction for the use cases offered so far. Fortunately, there is a very easy process for raising a use-case’s level of abstraction: Ask Why. Ask why until the use case is sufficiently high level.
I’ll pick on the use case of: “storing messages and allowing querying”. I personally – with the information provided – do not have enough information to determine whether I think message storage/query is something that TAXII 2.0 should support. So I’ll ask why. Why do we need storage and query? I’ll note that this is not Bret’s question alone to answer – anyone who has any answer should feel compelled to provide it. Multiple answers will provide a greater selection of use cases and perspectives.
I’ll also note that this message is meant to encourage contribution of all use cases, no matter how high or low level. It’s an easy and useful process to turn a low-level use case into a high-level use case. It’s easy because we just ask “why?”; it’s useful because we might get unanticipated answers that help make TAXII better (e.g., I won’t know what you’re thinking if you don’t say it). More use cases are always better than less use cases, because more use cases gives you more to work with. So please do not hesitate to offer your thoughts on use cases.

As for my own contribution of use cases, I’ll offer these:
I think many of you who have read this far will be asking: “Why?”

Thank you.
-Mark

[1] http://plantuml.sourceforge.net/