Subject: RE: [cti-taxii] TAXII Protocol Shortlist

I think all three proposals could be implemented using any of the protocols mentioned so far, so maybe it’s a bit more about the social and political aspects of these protocols than anything strictly technical.

For me, the various messaging protocols usually have some combination of the following flaws:

1)      Developers are not familiar with them

2)      Available brokers/servers are hard to extend and write code on top of (e.g., to implement Message Handlers)

3)      Firewalls generally do not let them through, and therefore existing firewall configs would be a barrier to adoption

4)      Adoption is limited and clients are not ubiquitous

Note that none of those flaws are strictly technical – they have to do with the social and political aspects and the ecosystem surrounding the protocol. There’s a reason the messaging space is so hard to understand – there’s no clear “winner”.

For me at least right now, I’m leaning toward HTTP as my opinion for moving forward. My key reasons are in line with John’s, though I’ll also add: Vibrant ecosystem of platforms, tools, and knowledge for building applications.

Thank you.

-Mark