Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] HTTPs

Jason Keirstead wrote this message on Sun, Feb 21, 2016 at 18:49 -0400:
> Currently the spec has changed from "TAXII must require HTTPS" to "TAXII
> must require HTTPS TLS 1.2 with TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA384 and
> <insert two full pages of text here>.
>
> I very much disagree with us specifying TLS levels and ciper suites in our
> specification. There are many problems with this
>
> - There will be vendors who do not have the ability to implement the
> prescribed suite for a variety of reasons, and if this is part of the spec
> we are basically saying those vendors can't implement TAXII.

I cannot thing of one reason that would prevent a vendor from
implementing this other than engineering time...  This is purely a
make a vendors life easier at the cost of security argument and this
argument is exactly why we have the sorry state of security we do
today...

> - There will be consumers who will not want to implement the prescribed
> suite for a variety of reasons, and if this is part of the spec we are
> basically saying those consumers can't consume TAXII

I'm fine w/ requiring symmetric security equivalent of >128bit (not equal to),
but we still need a MTI minimum for compatibility reasons...

> - The minimally viable cipher suite viable today is not the same one that
> will be minimally viable 6 months from now, so the whole chapter is
> entirely pointless and actually can be counter-productive, as at that point
> it will be mandating an insecure baseline.

Things don't move that quickly, though I will point out that post-quantum
public/private algos are coming soon...

--
John-Mark