Subject: Re: [cti-taxii] What happens when you GET messages

Bret –

In many circumstances, a TAXII client (that is using long-polling) that is retrieving this data may be doing a polled mechanism where it is important to get all new data since a last cycle or successful connection.

There’s two options on this.

1)       Get-Content-By-Last-ID

a.       Where the client provides the last ID that it got back from the server and a batch size that it wants to return.

b.       Batch-size == 1 effectively means that it can retrieve each message one-by-one and server’s could enforce batch-size=1 support if they don’t want to support larger batch retrieval sizes.

2)       Get-Content-By-Last-Timestamp

a.       Where the client provides the last timestamp (UTC) that it got from the last message posted to the server

b.       Batch-size logic would be the same as Get-Content-By-Last-ID

For me this provides the most efficient mechanisms (where servers and clients can decide on batch-size and helps cases where they can easily get the next message where they left off).

allan