cti-users message

Subject: Re: CTI Python libraries and Python 2.6

I phrased my request (“If you are using or need to use 2.6, let me know.”) the way I did for a reason.

Supporting 2.7 is going to happen. There are people who will need it for at least the next few years. Starting a library from scratch without Python 3 support is similarly not negotiable, IMO. Supporting 2.7 and 3.3+ is pretty standard for most libraries these days, anyway.

As a library maintainer, there is some amount of work that goes into supporting both 2.7 and 3.x at the same time. We will be doing that anyway. The amount of additional work to support 2.6 is small, but non-zero (there are a few syntax structures you can’t use, that would otherwise make the code cleaner). If no one needs 2.6 support, it doesn’t make sense to support it (but people have already contacted me saying they need 2.6 support, at least in the short term). I’ve encouraged them to start looking at upgrading.

My question also applied to the older libraries that already support 2.6. These libraries generally aren’t getting new features, so IMO it doesn’t make sense to “deprecate” them (other than to steer people towards upgrading to 2.7 or beyond as soon as feasible). Similarly, it doesn’t make sense to release a new version *just* to “break” people’s installs.

Many of the old libraries already support Python 3, but not all of them do. (If you need Python 3 support, let me know!)

By the way, I should have mentioned in my last message that we are targeting an early-May release of a version of python-stix2 that supports serialization and deserialization, and tries to make it hard or impossible to accidentally create invalid STIX 2 content… otherwise, just using json.dump/load would work perfectly well ;-)

FWIW, I’m doing as much Python development as I can in 3.6, and understand all the reasons to upgrade. I just didn’t want this thread to become a 2 vs. 3 discussion.

Greg