cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] CybOX Object Extensions

I agree with point 4 below.

On points 1-3 -- I personally believe that opening the route for extensions would lead to quicker adoption AND healthy evolution of the standard over time -- as some of these "custom extensions" will become of wide-use (or patterns of those extensions will become of wide-use), this will be a good indicator to consider getting them on the standard and having a working model of how data should be modelled for these new extensions.

I do suggest, tho, to consider having all "extensions" subclass a common (probably CybOX Object-agnostic) type that will include:
        (a)        'extension identifying' properties
        (b)        a 'must understand' property (may be extremely important for patterns)

One more point, not directly related to supporting custom extensions, re sub-classing extension types further: I think this *should* be considered. Consider for example a "pattern" for a file object, which uses a, say, WindowsFileObjectExension extension to specify some windows-related requirements on file attributes.
Now, suppose we have a collected "instance" for a file object in Windows, collected by a "modern" collector, so the file is represented by a CybOX file object with an extension of type WindowsFileObjectExtensionV2 -- a newer version of Windows file object extensions.
How do we evaluate match of the pattern to the instance? Either we define intricate comparison rules between the types ('a pattern on WindowsFileObjectExtension may match a pattern in the same name in WindowsFileObjectExtensionV2'), or we define general rules about patterns and extension inheritance and make V2 inherit the original extension version.
Of course, we could also say that the patterns semantics are completely independent of the collection/"instance" semantics but I think this is losing something.

Regards,

Eldan Ben-Haim
CTO, Trusteer
Software Group, Security Systems

IBM

Phone:+972-73-225-4610 | Mobile:+972-54-779-7359
E-mail:
ELDAN@il.ibm.com
13 Noah Mozes Street
Tel Aviv, TA 67442