cti message

Subject: Re: [cti] timestamp proposal for STIX 2.0 RC3

As far as I was able to tell, the epoch isn't the problem (unless you're facing numeric range issues). 1/1/1970 midnight UTC is an unambiguous point in time afaik. Therefore, a true elapsed time since that point, measured in fixed-duration TAI/UTC seconds, is also unambiguous. The problem seems to be with some implementations/specifications saying "don't count the leap seconds" (e.g. POSIX). That appears to take the true elapsed time, snips out some little pieces of it, and you add up the larger pieces that remain. That "elapsed time" is then a little bit off.

For the year/month/day/hour/minute/second representation, there's also the question of whether the "seconds" field can ever be 60 (or skip over 59?). But if you choose not to represent timestamps that way, it's a moot point.

Whether an inaccurate "elapsed time" would cause any problems probably depends on what you need to do with the timestamps. You'd probably know that better than I.

Andy