dam-cmis-profile-discuss message

Subject: Re: Key Objectives For CMIS/DAM

I'm just trying to re-start the CMIS/DAM discussion as things went a bit
quiet in December.

Last year we were getting on to how to set up some basic examples. Florian
provided this link to the CMIS 1.1. examples:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/cmis/CMIS/v1.1/os/examples/browser/

I was specifically interested in this one:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/cmis/CMIS/v1.1/os/examples/browser/getObject-resp
onse.log

Some questions:

1. What is the difference between Document and Object in CMIS?  I'm trying
to pick the most appropriate entity to map to an Asset (for DAM purposes).
It looks like Object, but I'm not sure of where the distinction lies?

2. Going one level up the examples, is atompub and webservices.  These are
in XML, the browser stuff is JSON.  What is the use-case for each?
Presumably if this were server-to-server (as it would be for typical
interoperability requirements between DAM systems) then webservices would be
used, but is my assumption accurate?

3. Is there a public implementation of CMIS that can be used to fire example
requests at, or is it a case of installing Apache Chemistry somewhere?  It
would be good to have a public one for test purposes.  If I have to get this
set up, then it can be done, but it's another hoop to jump through.

What we're leading to is a series of simple examples that can be used to
explain to DAM developers how to get assets out of a CMIS-compliant system.
From that we can then decide the range of extensions that need to be added
(if any) to the CMIS spec so it better supports multiple DAM usage
scenarios, including other standard like PLUS, IPTC etc.  Ultimately, the
goal is some basic documentation that we can promote to encourage adoption
and also incorporate into a more formal charter.

Thanks,

Ralph